22 Apr, 05:17AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

5 cleaners taking care of over 230 stalls. Really ridiculous

Subscribe to 5 cleaners taking care of over 230 stalls. Really ridiculous 37 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    12 posts since May '05
    6,305 posts since Feb '05
    • This cleaning jobs are shun by many Singaporeans, young and old. I have no issues if the cleaning industry in Singapore or the main coffee shop tenants hire more foreign workers for that cleaning jobs.

12 posts since May '05
    • Even if it is ok for foreign workers for these jobs, does it mean they can work like slaves? It is 5 workers to 230 stalls which is crazy. I have seen how chaotic it was. No place for people to sit because too many tables stacked with plates and too few cleaners to clear the tables. 

Edited by lucif 06 Jan `14, 6:04PM
    • The local employers are cheapskate employers. Most SMEs in Singapore are cheapskate employers…they make Singaporeans and foreigners alike to work like slaves.

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    265,902 posts since Dec '99
    • and then ur food gotta cost more

are u willing to pay?

with the return tray campaign, these workers just need to clean tables

which can be quite fast

so need all to cooperate

12 posts since May '05
    • But some selfish people just expect the cleaners to do everything. 

It is ok for the employers to hire lesser people. But i think the most important thing is how they can speed up productivity with lesser people. Maybe using like the tray returning stations, or larger trolleys perhaps. So the workers can work faster and better without using alot of effort?

31,272 posts since Oct '02
    • larger trolley? it's not exactly quite menuavable (spelling?) with a large trolley at CFM.

A more easier approach would be self tray return, since it doesn't cost money, doesn't defray cost to consumers and only a lil more effort and curtosey from the consumers.

Speeding up productivity with lesser people often requires a better system or technology (ie: equipment). Ultimately the goal is improving efficency.

• Originally posted by FireIce:

and then ur food gotta cost more

are u willing to pay?

with the return tray campaign, these workers just need to clean tables

which can be quite fast

so need all to cooperate

In food business you make more than 100 per cent profit can even reach to 300 per cent and its hard cash in hand earning daily. See how greedy the food stall owners or the coffee shop owners. That self return tray campaign is not working many of the customer don't bother to place it at the tray area...look at the food court at shopping mall, hawker centres, coffee shops and fast food restaurants...plenty of left over plates on the tables....only a small number of patrons will do that selfless deed...the rest aiyah..don't bother..human nature. Let the stall owners to engage their own stall assistants to clear their own plates and the owner of the eating premises can scold them if they fail to do it..like the old ways.

12 posts since May '05
    • It is the culture of returning trays. Monkey see monkey do. If everyone return their trays and one guy didnt, he will instinctively do it since everyone is doing it. 

It is just like how nowadays people are queuing up to enter the MRT train. A few yrs back no one did. Same thing. It will take awhile for people to do it. Anyway recent studies shows more and more people are returning their trays. It is a good sign.

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    265,902 posts since Dec '99
    1,763 posts since Mar '09
    52 posts since Dec '13
    • I even saw news that people also have invented plate that can be eaten after meal, just that I cannot find the source in the internet.

7,569 posts since Mar '10
    • Originally posted by zulkifli mahmood:

In food business you make more than 100 per cent profit can even reach to 300 per cent and its hard cash in hand earning daily. See how greedy the food stall owners or the coffee shop owners. That self return tray campaign is not working many of the customer don't bother to place it at the tray area...look at the food court at shopping mall, hawker centres, coffee shops and fast food restaurants...plenty of left over plates on the tables....only a small number of patrons will do that selfless deed...the rest aiyah..don't bother..human nature. Let the stall owners to engage their own stall assistants to clear their own plates and the owner of the eating premises can scold them if they fail to do it..like the old ways.

When self return tray campaign become more successful, the cheapskate contractors will start reducing to 4, and then 3, and then just maybe 2 cleaners left. Quoting do not need so many cleaners anymore. Those remaining workers will continue to work like slaves.

By then the remaining x cleaners will also be overworked because there will always be uncleared trays and/or the cheapskate contractors will continue to squeeze and the remaining cleaners will be asked to double-up as washers as well lah.

1,831 posts since Nov '04

I would love to know where you get your food and labour cost percentage from. 100 - 300 percent. You must be joking eh.. 

• I cup of coffee/Tea how much? S$1 to S$1.10. You just need hot water, 1 spoon of coffee powder, a tea spoon of condense milk and a spoon of sugar.

Nasi Goreng, some rice, half an egg and a little bit of ingredients for S$3 to $4.

You earn more profit if you have plenty of customers and your foods are delicious and famous. If people don’t like your food and price…then you can’t or have problems covering your rent. In food business you can see your profit within 6 months or even lesser.

I used to help my late mother food stalls during my school days and when I had started working. I have done food business before.

How about you….have you washed your own plate at home or you get your maid or parents to do for you?

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 09 Jan `14, 10:53AM
    • Originally posted by lucif:

It is the culture of returning trays. Monkey see monkey do. If everyone return their trays and one guy didnt, he will instinctively do it since everyone is doing it. 

It is just like how nowadays people are queuing up to enter the MRT train. A few yrs back no one did. Same thing. It will take awhile for people to do it. Anyway recent studies shows more and more people are returning their trays. It is a good sign.

That need to be back up by national advertising campaigns over the mass medias like they used to have a successful campaign on the derogating advertising campaigns of "Stop At Two" in the past. Plus penalties to make it more effective. That was how the Singapore Government educate the people over the mass medias. That how Singaporeans are most of the time, they need to be told by the Singapore Government before they actually do it. And the best way to make it more effective is to legislate it like fines for not flushing after using the toilet bowl, no chewing gums, no spitting etcs...lols. Singapore is a city of fines....all the tourists know this.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 09 Jan `14, 11:16AM
    • Originally posted by BanguIzai:

When self return tray campaign become more successful, the cheapskate contractors will start reducing to 4, and then 3, and then just maybe 2 cleaners left. Quoting do not need so many cleaners anymore. Those remaining workers will continue to work like slaves.

By then the remaining x cleaners will also be overworked because there will always be uncleared trays and/or the cheapskate contractors will continue to squeeze and the remaining cleaners will be asked to double-up as washers as well lah.

Get the food stall owners to clear all those plates lah and the coffee shop owners to clear their cups and glasses. They must know how to help and co-operate with one another. If the customers like the hawkers some of them will even send the plates back to your food stalls..isn't that better than to employer cleaners to do the work. Get their children, friends or relatives or someone regardless young or old that need some money to help them at the stall on a daily basis like part time work....the old ways are much more simpler than now which seems like so difficult to solve.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 09 Jan `14, 10:52AM
    • They used to have disposal utensils for the customers and still it wasn’t working efficiently and effectively…aiyah. Just legislate the law to make them clear their own plates that will do it and they may even wash clean their own plates for the food stall owners or the coffee shop owners lols. They will only do it when their money is burn to pay for fines…lols.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 09 Jan `14, 11:03AM
    • Train the kids and the adult people to clear their own plate and wash their plate after eating at home and start that habit at the young age….hopefully that will help to educate them to have a good habit to clear their own plates after eating at the public eating premises. If they don’t want to clear their own plates….tell them to eat at the restaurants.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 09 Jan `14, 11:20AM

Train the kids and the adult people to clear their own plate and wash their plate after eating at home and start that habit at the young age….hopefully that will help to educate them to have a good habit to clear their own plates after eating at the public eating premises. If they don’t want to clear their own plates….tell them to eat at the restaurants.

During my NS days in Navy, if you are posted to ship, you compulsory have to wash your own utensils in the gallery (navy term for kitchen).

• Originally posted by M the name:

During my NS days in Navy, if you are posted to ship, you compulsory have to wash your own utensils in the gallery (navy term for kitchen).

During my time too, all NS personnel will know how to clear and wash their own utensils because its compulsory and if you don't the Duty BOS or MPs or RPs at the Cook House will catch you. Then you will either get your weekend passes burned or performed extra guard duties. I was trained by my dad to clear and wash my own plate at the age of 6 because he said that if I don't nobody will carry your coffin when you die.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 10 Jan `14, 5:00PM
    • If the gahmen or schools are smart, they should included dish cleaning in food centres as part of student's community service or even activities of CCA. *:)) laughing

• Originally posted by M the name:

If the gahmen or schools are smart, they should included dish cleaning in food centres as part of student's community service or even activities of CCA. *:)) laughing

That is a very Good Idea bro.

Please Login or Signup to reply.